How to Sell a Car Privately
Selling your car on your own/ privately is the best option for getting the most out of your car sale. However, patience is key if you want to go down this road. There is a lot of work and process involved before you finally pocket that money. From paperwork, advertising, and improving the condition of the car to make it sellable.
Luckily, I’ll walk you through every step to follow to make the process seamless and fun.
Step 1. Have all the paperwork ready.
Although this step is mostly ignored until the very end of the sales process, it’s the most crucial. These documents include; service records, original sales documents, and car titles.
Ensure you know all your cars’ additional features e.g. Keyless entry, navigation system or leather seats, etc. apart from mileage, year of production, and model.
This can help to boost the car value. The car service record also shows that the car is well maintained.
Step 2. Know your car’s condition.
A visit to your mechanic will help to give you a perfect picture of the condition of your car. A mechanic can also help identify any problem with your car engine or other car features that are commonly overlooked or are rarely used.
Armed with all the information on the actual condition of the car, you can be able to set the right asking price.
Ensure to fix any major issue with the car eg. Brakes, tires, dents, and scratches, etc. as many buyers don’t like to spend extra money fixing it. This will also help increase car resale value.
Step 3. Decide on which method to use.
The method you choose to find the buyer will be determined by your urgency to sell. There are various methods to choose from;
- Use classified ads from car dealer sites
- Use social media eg Facebook, Twitter
- Use online car forum
- Word of mouth
- Use instant cash offer from dealers such as https://1hourcash4cars.com
- if you decide to place online ads ensure the ads meet the following requirements as required by law.
The color of the car
- Mileage covered
- Cars actual condition
- Your contact details
- The exact model of the car
- Full-service history
- The year of manufacture and the registration number.
- Any other modification made on the car.
- Many clear pictures of the car.
Online advertising is great since you get to show your car to a wider audience. The downside is you will have to vet all the potential buyers by yourself and do all the paperwork.
The instant cash offer option with https://1hourcash4cars.com is great if you need instant cash. You won’t have to deal with the paperwork, no obligation and you will receive the highest price for your car. Plus they will come to your location.
Step 4. Closing the deal and payment.
You need to thoroughly screen the potential buyers before closing the sale to avoid fraud. Ask for a utility bill to confirm their names and address before handing over the keys and paperwork. For precaution, purpose ensures to sell within your locality and avoid accepting checks outside of your state.
After payment is made finish with the following paperwork.
- Both parties to sign on the bill of sale and write the date
- Fill the release of liability form and sign then. Hand it over to the department of motor vehicle
- Include additional paperwork
- Make a copy of the paperwork before handing over the keys and document to the buyer
- Remove vehicle from your insurance
- Remove plates if its part of the state requirement.
- Note on the bill of sale if the car is sold ‘As Is’
Selling your car privately can potentially expose you to fraudsters and thieves. It’s therefore advisable to be on the lookout for potential signs that the buyer may have that portrays him or her as a fraudster. Eg. A buyer may pay for the car through a check before it matures and once you have handed over the keys and paperwork the check bounces. Ensure the money is transferred to your account on the spot.
Also, make sure the viewing is in a public place and that you are accompanied by someone close to you.